Thursday 6 November 2008

Every Little Helps Apparently...

Don't get me wrong 90% of the time I really don't mind my job, and do actually have a good time most Sunday's 'Whats A Lasagne Sheet?' but I really do worry about some of our customers and the things they come out with:
  • 'You look bored so I thought I'd give you something to do!' - No really Im fine thanks, Please just go away and let me sit here peacefully contemplating life.

  • 'Are you open?' - No love im just sitting here for the pure fun of it, I couldnt think of a better way to spend my Sunday.
    Or the other hand...
    'Are You Open?' - Well considering my gates shut and Im walking away from my till Im not funnily enough.

  • 'Do You Work Here?' - In the words of Alan Carr 'No I dont; I woke up today and thought fuck it it's summer! Im going to stick on these polyester slacks and wear this badge as a broach!'

  • 'How Much Longer Have You Got To Go?'....'Ummm 4 Hours'.....'Oh Not Long Then!' - Im sorry what? Have you tired sitting at a till for 6 hours? My guess is no you havent so please dont tell me 4 hours is not long; you can leave in 5 mins, I have to spend the rest of the day being polite to idiotic customers!

  • TRUE STORY: 'Im sorry I couldnt find any cheese sauce would you be able to get some for me?...'yeah sure I wont be a miniute'....I come back...'This is the only one I could find for you'.....'Oh sorry I cant have that I wanted 4 cheese sauce not a 3 cheese sauce!' - OH PLEASE JUST FUCK OFF YOU'RE TAKING THE PISS NOW!

  • 'Wheres.......' - Right next to you/Right there where the MASSIVE sign is/Next to you....USE YOUR EYES!

  • 'Oh LOL HAHAHAHA Is That My Nectar Card HAAHAHA Silly Me! - Oh God

My Sundays usually consist of the following:

  • Ignoring the low paper warning as it appears about a week early.

  • Conemplating becoming a monk after become extremely patient with stupid customers.

  • Stealing barcodes of fruit that normally doesnt have the privalidge of having their own barcode i.e. a gold pineapple.

  • Keeping a store of £5 notes topgive to nice customers as its normally a suprise to find any at the start of a shift.

  • Starting to memorize alot of PLU numbers and barcodes for stuff e.g. 1106 - garlic, 55 = a lemon, 710 = a lime etc...

  • Wondering why the till believes that the only things people by in 2's are bacon, mince meat and batteries.

  • Asking people TOO many questions.

  • Opening carrier bags for customers who find it an impossible task 'These bags have got thin, they're much better in Morrisons' 'GO TO MORRISONS THEN!'

  • Wondering why everything seems to be my fault 'WHY HAVE YOU MOVED THE BUTTER!!!' ... 'Oh sorry I did that deliberately just too piss you off'

  • Being excited when a glass jar of something drops off the belt, and when you get taken off for your break.

  • Spending 10 mins reading the Team 5 sheet that I've already read to get off a till for a few minutes.

  • Wishing I could just void things myself as it would save alot of customers telling me theyre going to complain.

  • Alternating the items I scan so I don't have to wait for the delay on the scanner.

  • Trying to make customers reciepts as long as possible by scanning every single item individually.

  • Wondering why customers ask me for permission to go and get items they've forgotten 'Can i go and get some milk?'...'No sorry'.

  • Feeling sick when people bring heart and liver through my till.

  • Acting as normally as possible whenever somebody buys either: a pregnancy test, or condoms. Or if two middle aged men come to your till with a big shop, and they're obviously not just mates.

  • Considering having a quick nap.

  • Giving customers who are idiots all their change in coins even though I have enough notes just to show them I mean business!

  • Playing around with anything you can find on your till whilst waiting for a customer, including the hand scanner, drawing on on till roll, the belt+dividers, the green and red lights above the till, till roll, PLU lists, scanning anything that has a barcode on like the school vouchers, the printer, lowering and raising the seat, spinning round on the seat and the buttons for the belt.

  • Making my break last for as long as possible.

  • Taking forever to do put backs so I don't have to go back on the tills.

  • Getting stared at by small children who think Im doing the bestest job ever...If only they knew!

Ah its a wonderful life at times. I really cannot wait to move on to bigger and better things such as Kerrang! or Rock Sound.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Oh the JOYS, the absolute, sheer, wonderous, mind-blowing joys of working at a supermarket...sigh.

A customer approaches your till, "Oh, you look bored!"- Oh. Ha ha ha ha. It's funny you should say that, because, y'know...i'm actually having A WHALE OF A TIME! *sarcastic smile*

Gosh...